Funding Your Degree

Find out more about financial aid opportunities below

Financial Aid

Funding for a college degree can be a major concern for students.  However, there are programs available that can assist in this area.  Hobe Sound Bible College is approved to receive Pell Grants and Student Loans which are provided through the United States Department of Education for eligible students.

Types of Financial Aid

There are two types of financial aid that are available through the US Department of Education.  Pell Grants are monies given for educational purposes and do not have to be paid back to the government.  Student Loans are temporary loans of money but they are not free and will need to be paid back to the government once the degree has been completed or the student has stopped taking classes.


Students seeking financial aid must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at  Hobe Sound Bible College’s school code is 015463. The FAFSA must be completed whether a student is applying for a Pell Grant or is wanting a Student Loan.  The application is good for an entire school year (summer, fall, and spring).


Once a student is approved for financial aid, two other stipulations need to be emphasized.

  1. A student must be enrolled in a degree program and must be taking courses that will count toward that degree.
  2. A student must maintain a 2.0 (C) grade-point average to continue receiving funds.

Each class session lasts seven weeks with two sessions occurring per semester.  Funding is determined according to each session.  Two courses is considered a full load and one course is considered part-time.  Funding for Pell is provided for three semesters, or six sessions.  Considered another way, Pell Grants can be used for up to twelve individual courses during the year.

Funding for the session is submitted to the government after the drop/add period which is 2 weeks after the course begins.


If a student receives more money than what the courses cost, this money can either be used for out-of pocket expenses or can be left in the student account to cover additional future courses not covered by Pell Grants.  If a student  desires to receive this extra money for personal expenses, it must be requested from the business office.  However, because of the pay-back policy of the federal government for withdrawal from courses (determined by how long a student stays enrolled in a class), no monies will be sent to the student until the courses have been completed at the end of the session.

Student Loans

To begin the process of acquiring a student loan, go to  After you have completed your Master Promissory Note (MPN) and entrance counseling at, contact the Director of Financial Aid to apply for your student loan.

Eligibility for Student Loans is based on taking 6 credit hours per semester.  Taking one class in a session will not qualify for a student loan unless a second class is taken the next session within the same semester.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

In order to maintain financial aid eligibility for Title IV financial aid programs a student must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward obtaining a degree. The student must maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0, meet the unit completion requirements for your enrollment status, and not exceed the maximum time frame for your program. Failure to do so will result in a loss of eligibility for future financial aid. SAP Progress is monitored at the end of each semester.

Minimum Standard Requirements

Qualitative measure (Cumulative GPA)

A student must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0. Grades below a D (F, I, W and AU) are not considered part of the GPA and may place you in a credit shortage status.

Quantitative Measure (Credit Hour Progression)

You must complete at least 67% of credit hours attempted each semester to remain on track. Credit hour progression will be based on a cumulative total of attempted hours to earned hours. For example, a student who attempted 30 credit hours but actually completed 19 of them would only have completed 63% of all credits attempted. This is not satisfactory academic progress. If the same student completed 22 credits that would be 73% and would be considered satisfactory academic progress.

Maximum Timeframe to Complete a Degree

The maximum allowable timeframe for receiving aid is equal to 150% of the length of your academic program. For example, a full-time student who attempts 16 credits in a semester must complete at least 12 credits. Units that are not completed will count towards units attempted for a degree.
If you are a transfer student, your accepted transfer coursework will be counted in the maximum timeframe. You can repeat a course, but the credits will be applied toward the maximum timeframe.
Required remedial coursework will not be counted toward your maximum timeframe (up to 30 credits).

Financial Aid WarningStudents who have not met the minimum standard requirements for the previous semester will be placed on a Warning Status. Students who do not meet Minimum Standard Requirements at the end of their Warning semester, will be placed on probation for the next term. Students who are on a Warning Status are required to do the following:

  • Talk with the Academic Adviser to schedule a plan of accountability and academic supervision in the area of need.
  • If needed, talk with the professor of each course in which there is a problem.
  • Financial Aid Probation: Students who have not met the minimum standard requirements (after being placed on warning) will be placed on probation and therefore disqualified from receiving Financial Aid. Students who are on probation will be required to do the things listed above. 
  • Appeal Process: If extenuating circumstances have affected the student’s progress, an appeal may be submitted in writing. To file an appeal, the student must contact the Financial Aid Office and submit any requested documentation necessary to support his/her claim of mitigating circumstances. The student must also explain why he/she failed to make SAP and what has changed that will allow him/her to make SAP at the next evaluation.
  • Submitting an appeal does not guarantee approval. Students awaiting a response may be responsible for paying their tuition fees by the payment deadline specified.

Probation StatusIf a student’s appeal is approved, the student will receive a letter from the Financial Aid Director notifying him/her of the decision. The student will be placed on “probation” and will retain federal aid eligibility. If, following the semester of “probation”, the student fails to make SAP, he/she will lose federal aid eligibility.

Additional Resources
  • fastweb - Free scholarship search database
  • FinAid! - General financial aid information including calculators for expected family contribution, loan repayment information, and student aid programs
  • nelnet - Financial Aid 101, budget calculators, scholarship search engine, FAFSA assistance
  • Florida Student Financial Aid - Answers to your questions about Bright Futures Scholarships, Florida grants and other scholarships.

Contact Info

11298 SE Gomez Avenue
Hobe Sound, FL 33455
Phone: 772-545-1400
Fax: 772-545-1422